State Agrarian University of Moldova has a rich 80 years history that began in April 9, 1933 when His Majesty the King Carol II promulgated the Law concerning the transformation of Agricultural Sciences Section from Iasi University into the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences with its center in Chisinau. The University has pass through many changes within the complex history of our country.
In 1938 the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences became the Faculty of Agronomy, and together with other two faculties formed the Polytechnics (technical school) “Gh. Asachi” from Iasi, with the main faculty located in Chisinau.
In August 1940, according to the Decision of People Commissars Soviet of USSR and CC of CP, on the basis of the Faculty of Agronomy, the authorities opened the Agricultural Institute from Chisinau with three faculties: Viticulture, Animal husbandry and Phytotechny. Since February 1941 the institute was given the name of M. V. Frunze. The first director of the Institute was N. Bosoy.
After the war, in 1944, the institution re-opened with 4 faculties: Agronomy, Viticulture and Oenology, Fruit and Vegetable growing and Animal husbandry with 27 departments and a pre-university section training about 150 future students.
During the years significant structural changes had occurred– part-time studies Section opened in 1945; the Faculty of Viticulture and Oenology and the Faculty of Fruit and Vegetable Growing merged creating the Faculty of Fruit and Vegetable Growing and Viticulture in 1948; new faculties were founded: Agricultural Mechanization (1950), Land Improvement (1954), Agricultural Economics (1965), Staff Retraining and Requalification (1965), Veterinary Medicine (1976), the Faculty for Training Foreign Citizens (1976), establishment of Scientific Direction (1964), DES foundation etc.
In November 1991 the Moldovan Government transfers the Agricultural Institute “M. V. Frunze” from Chisinau under Moldova jurisdiction from that of the USSR and reorganizes it into the State Agrarian University of Moldova.
Important reforms have been made with regard to structure and content of higher agricultural education aimed at satisfying country’s economic needs. New specialities have been established: territorial organization (1991), management (1993), land survey (1995), marketing (1995), forestry and public gardens (1996), agricultural biotechnologies (1997), international economic relations (1997), patrimonial law (2002), tourism (2003), ecology and environmental protection (2003), environmental engineering (2003), public acquisitions (2004), engineering and technology of auto transportation (2004), real estate evaluation (2004), finances and banks (2005), viticulture and wine making (2005), the Faculty of Accountancy opened (2004).
In 1995, SAUM becomes a member of European University Association (EUA) and from 2001 – of the Association of Agricultural Universities and Institutions from Europe (ICA).